Police believe Manchester bomber Salman Abedi largely acted alone

16 have been arrested so far in connection with the Manchester Arena attack, but it is thought the 22 -year-old operated on his own

Police now belief the Manchester bomber behaved largely alone in the run-up to his suicide onslaught at Ariana Grandes concert.

Soon after Salman Abedi blew himself up at Manchester Arena eight weeks ago police said they were investigating a potential fright system. But now detectives say the 22 -year-old shopped alone for most of the components he used to stir the bomb, which killed himself and 22 concertgoers on 22 May and injured 116 more.

Our inquiries present Abedi himself stimulated most of the buys of the core components and what is becoming apparent is that many of his motions and actions have been carried out alone during the four days from him landing in the country and perpetrating this awful onslaught, supposed Det Ch Supt Russ Jackson, head of the north-west counter-terrorism unit.

Abedi was born in Manchester to Libyan parents, who moved back to Tripoli in recent years, together with his younger siblings. He is believed to have visited Libya only four days before the two attacks, arriving back in the UK on 18 May.

His father and younger brother, Hashem, have been taken into custody by Libyan authorities.

Police are not ruling out that Abedi may have had accomplices. It is vital that we made to ensure that he is not part of a wider system and we cannot rule this out yet. There remain a number of things that concern us about his action prior to the attack and those of his associates which we need to get to the bottom of, supposed Jackson.

Police have arrested 16 people so far in connection with the investigation. Three men were liberated without charge on Tuesday: two men aged 20 and 24 from the Fallowfield area of south Manchester, believed to be Abedis cousins, and a 37 -year-old man from Blackley in north Manchester. A 16 -year-old boy from Withington and a 34 -year-old woman from Blackley were liberated last week shortly after their arrests.

Police have scrutinized Abedis phone accounts, together with CCTV footage, to begin to piece together his motions in the run-up to the attack. The investigation has 3,000 cables of inquiry within the counter-terrorism self-control room, with policemen analyse nearly 300 parts of digital equipment, including phones.

Much of the investigation has been painstakingly working through Salman Abedis last-place motions. We have done this by analyse his motions on CCTV and other interactions he has had whether it be with people or the phone calls he has stimulated, supposed Jackson.

With specialist supporting we have also have a good understanding of the likely component parts of the bomb and where these came from.

On Monday night police liberated a CCTV image testifying Abedi wheeling a large blue suitcase and appealed for anyone who may have heard him with it on Wilmslow Road, known locally as the Curry Mile because of its abundance of south-Asian restaurants.

We are especially keen to find out why he maintained “re going back to the” Wilmslow Road area and we need to find the blue suitcase which he used during these journeys, supposed Jackson. For the past few days policemen have been searching a landfill area in Pilsworth, Bury, reportedly looking for the case.

Eleven men remain in custody, mostly in their late teens or early twenties. Supposes can be held without charge for up to 14 days if arrested for the purposes of the Terrorism Act.

We still have a number of people in detention and we will be seeking to extend the custody of some of them as we work to understand what has has been going on and whether Abedi was helped, supposed Jackson.

The release of some people can be expected in investigations of this nature as we corroborate accounts that have been provided.

Anyone with information should call the anti-terrorist hotline in confidence on 0800 7893 21.

Read more: https :// www.theguardian.com/ uk-news/ 2017/ may/ 31/ police-believe-manchester-bomber-salman-abedi-acted-largely-alone