Transgender recruitment in US military delayed by six months

Defense secretary Jim Mattis renders armed forces until December to assess impacts on military readiness and repudiates calls for two-year deferral

Defense secretary Jim Mattis is giving the military forces another six months to conduct a review to determine if allowing transgender individuals to enlist in the armed services will affect its readiness and lethality.

Pentagon spokeswoman Dana White supposed Mattis constructed government decisions on Friday. The delay in allowing the enlistment of new recruits does not affect transgender troops who ever serving openly in the military.

Mattis said in a memoranda gaining access to The Associated Press: After to hold consultations with the service managers and secretaries, I have determined that it is necessary to defer the start of accessions for six months. We will use this additional time to evaluate more carefully the impact of such accessions on readiness and lethality.

In the memo, Mattis said he believed the department must evaluate each policy decision against one standard whether it alters the readiness of the military forces to defend the nation.

Mattiss decision formally endorses an arrangement hammered out last week by the leaders of the four military services, which rebuffed army and us air force requests for a two-year wait. And it indicates the broader worry that a longer slow would trigger criticism on Capitol Hill, officials familiar with the talks said.

The request for a stall is delivered to Mattis for a final decision last week.

Mattis said the review by the services must be completed by 1 December, and he noted that his approval of a lag does not presuppose the outcome of the review. He said the additional occasion would ensure he had potential benefits of the views of the military leadership and of the senior civilian officials who are now arriving in the department.

Transgender service members have been able to serve openly in the military forces since last year, when former defense secretary Ash Carter terminated the prohibitions, proclaiming it the right thing to do. Since 1 October, transgender troops have been able to receive medical care and start formally changing their gender identity in the Pentagons personnel system.

But Carter likewise rendered the services until 1 July to develop policies to allow people already identifying as transgender to join the military, if they meet physical, medical and other standards, and have been stable in their identified gender for 18 months.

The military managers have argued they need more time to study the issue and its effect on the readiness of such forces before taking that step.

According to officials familiar with the internal arguments, the boss believe the extra six months would give the four military services is necessary to ascertain if currently serving transgender troops are facing problems and what necessary changes military footings might have to make.

They announced navy officials were ready to begin enlistment in July but asked for a one-year defer, largely to accommodate a request from the Marine Corps for more occasion. The navy secretary also administers the Marine Corps. The legion and air force craved a two-year delay to further study the issue, they said.

Already, there are up 250 service the participants in the process of changing their gender identity or who have been approved to formally change gender within the Pentagons personnel system, according to several defense officials.

Officials said there was a wide-reaching recognition that allowing transgender individuals to enlist affected each service differently. They described the major challenge as the infantry. They said the discussions were aimed at a solution that would impart recruits best available possibility of succeeding, while ensuring the services preserved the best standards for entry into the military.

A Rand Corp study found that there were between 2,500 and 7,000 transgender service members in the active-duty military, and the other 1,500 to 4,000 in the reserves.

Read more: https :// www.theguardian.com/ us-news/ 2017/ jul/ 01/ transgender-recruitment-in-us-military-delayed-by-six-months

Former Phoenix bus driver charged with nine counts of murder

String of nighttime period shootings of people outside their residences or sitting outside autoes kept Maryvale tenants on edge for a year

A former city bus motorist accused in a string of deadly nighttime period shootings of people outside their dwellings or sitting outside vehicles that retained residents of a Phoenix neighborhood inside after dark has has been officially charged with nine countings of murder.

The indictment of Aaron Juan Saucedo, 23, reached practically two months after police said he was responsible for fatally hitting nine people and wounding two others during a nearly one-year period that ended in July 2016.

He was indicted Tuesday but news of the indictment did not rise until Friday, when court officials sent reporters a link to a video appearance of Saucedo in court on Thursday to be informed of the charges.

Saucedo, dubbed the Serial Street Shooter by authorities, has been incarcerated since he was indicted in April in one of the first defeats in the series. In all, he has now been charged with nine murders.

The attacks scared people living in Maryvale, a mostly Latino neighborhood in Phoenix where all but two of the killings passed. The victims were shot by a human who prowled the neighborhood in a auto and opened fire from inside it or stepped out briefly to kill before driving away.

Among those who died were a 21 -year-old man whose lover was pregnant with their son and a 12 -year-girl who was shot to death together with her mother and a pal of the woman.

Saucedos lawyer, Dean Roskosz, did not immediately respond to telephone message searching comment.

Saucedo, who is jailed for lack of$ 8 million bail, made a brief tribunal look Thursday to be notified of service charges, but was asked questions only about his identify and date of birth. He articulated Im innocent at a May court hearing following his initial arrest.

Police have previously said in courtroom registers that Saucedo left behind missile casings at all crimes that authorities tested and associated him to the shootings. In one of the shootings, police announced, he got out of his vehicle in January 2016 and kicked a victim after killing the man.

Authorities likewise have said video footage captured near the scene of a July 2016 shooting, the last in the serial, helped them influence the crap-shooters automobile was a 5-series BMW the same model Saucedo drove.

Police articulated Saucedo stopped using the BMW and changed his appearance after police publicly released a composite sketch of the suspect and a description of the attackers car.

A black 2001 5 Series BMW was grabbed by investigates from Saucedos home in April. Police have said a 9mm eggshell casing found inside the car was fired from the same gun as the shells found in the aftermath of nine of the 12 attacks.

Saucedo knew simply the first victim, and the other slays were random, authorities supposed. Police have furnished not detailed information on a possible inducement. Saucedo had no prior criminal record or visible existence on social media and he lived with his mother.

Before working as a bus driver, Saucedo attended a high school specializing in helping troubled youth.

He has comprised various occupations over the years, including working as a laborer for a residence remodeling companyr. His only previous linked with the court system was a 2016 red-light traffic breach while driving a bus in Maryvale.

The murders stumped researchers for months, but they got a break in April when Saucedo was arrested in the August 2015 fatal shooting of 61 -year-old Raul Romero, who had a relationship with Saucedos mother that officials have declined to describe. Authorities analyse Saucedo more closely and connected him to the other killings.

The series of killings happened 10 times after six people were killed in Phoenix and 19 others were wounded in random darknes period shootings. Two boys were convicted in those attacks.

Read more: https :// www.theguardian.com/ world/ 2017/ jul/ 01/ former-phoenix-bus-driver-charged-with-nine-counts-of

UK dealer charged in US over multimillion-dollar fake Bitcoin site scam

Renwick Haddow created chic corporations and hoaxed investors into thinking the latter are big successes, authorities in New York allege

US authorities on Friday charged a British industrialist with securities fraud, accusing them of deceiving investors over what turned out to be a fake trading platform for the cryptocurrency Bitcoin.

The Security and Exchange Commission( SEC) alleged the clandestine Renwick Haddow, a UK citizen living in New York, diverted monies are used in a phoney Bitcoin site as well as from a flexible workspace firm Bar Works into accounts in Mauritius and Morocco, totalling$ 5m.

It said he touted experienced senior executives as behind the operations who turned out to be specters, and falsified the details and success of both companies.

Andrew Calamari, director of the SECs New York bureau, articulated: Haddow generated two chic corporations and misled investors into believing that highly qualified executives were resulting them to quick profitability.

In reality, Haddow controlled the companies from behind the scenes and they were far from profitable.

Bitcoin Store claimed to be an easy-to-use and secure way of holding and trading Bitcoin that had generated several million dollars in gross sales. The SEC to suggest that in fact it never had any operations nor produced the gross sales it touted.

In 2015, Bitcoin Storage bank accounts allegedly received less than $250,000 in incoming carries , none of which appear to reflect revenue from customers, the SEC told.

Haddows investors pumped more than $37 m into Bar Works, which claimed to provide workspaces in age-old barrooms and restaurants, but in fact mainly sold leases coupled with sub-leases that together functioned like investment tones, the SEC said in a statement.

The commission alleged that throughout Haddow was hiding his connection to the companies dedicated his checkered past with regulators in the UK, where he has faced similar charges for investment schemes.

According to a report in Crains, 27 investors from China filed clothing in the country state supreme court on 16 June striving refund of more than$ 3m are used in Bar Works, which they called a Ponzi scheme.

Another investment group filed a similar case against Bar Works in Florida in recent weeks.

Read more: https :// www.theguardian.com/ technology/ 2017/ jul/ 01/ bitcoin-fake-site-uk-dealer-charged-us-multimillion-dollar-scam

Thousands of Mosul civilians trapped in Isis territory as Iraqi forces close in

For civilians comprised as human shields by the extremists, quantities have run low and clean drinking water is scarce

Hundreds of civilians fled Mosuls Old City on Friday as Iraqi personnels slowly crushed the last pockets of Islamic State resist, and the UN was indicated that the intense and concentrated opposing put innocent lives in even greater danger.

People climbed over knolls of rubble and through narrow alleys as gunshots and explosions rang out nearby. The neighborhoods where government forces are opposing have been under siege for months as grueling urban warfare depicted out the operation to retake Iraqs second-largest city.

For the civilians maintained as human shields by the extremists, quantities have run low and clean drinking water is scarce, according to residents interviewed at screening centres and clinics.

The combats saw a period after Iraqi powers stimulated significant gains against the activists and Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi proclaimed an demise in the working group self-proclaimed caliphate.

After a sunrise pushing on Thursday, Iraqi violences retook the symbolic locate where the al-Nuri Mosque formerly stood. It was from the pulpit of the 12 th century mosque, which the activists blew up last week along with its famous bending minaret, that their leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi had proclaimed the caliphate in 2014.

During the night, al-Abadi announced the full liberation of Mosul was near and that Iraqs brave violences will bring victory.

Lt Gen Abdul Wahab al-Saadi said by Friday afternoon the special forces were within 700 metres of the Tigris River, which approximately divides Mosul into east and western halves.

The operation to retake Mosul, backed closely by the US-led coalition, began in October, with the Iraqi government initially vowing the city “wouldve been” liberated in 2016.

Read more: https :// www.theguardian.com/ world/ 2017/ jul/ 01/ thousands-of-mosul-civilians-trapped-in-isis-territory-as-iraqi-forces-close-in